Doyle Named Distinguished Visiting Professor at U.S. Air Force Academy

Michael S. Doyle, a professor of Spanish and translation studies at UNC Charlotte, will join the United States Air Force Academy faculty in Colorado Springs, Colo. as a Distinguished Visiting Professor from July 1, 2013 through May 28, 2014.

Doyle will teach advanced courses in Spanish for specific purposes (Language and Culture of Business in the Spanish-speaking World), translation studies, and literary studies. He also will provide mentoring for faculty development, seminars in pedagogy, consultancy, and support for cadet research.

“I look forward to collaborating with the academy’s faculty during my appointment,” Doyle said. “I also anticipate that I will return to UNC Charlotte after my year at the Air Force Academy with new insights into the content and methodologies of languages for specific purposes and intercultural communication. My experiences will also offer me the opportunity to explore additional ways I can help students at UNC Charlotte fulfill their leadership potential.”

The Air Force Academy mission is to educate, train and inspire men and women to become officers of character, motivated to lead the United States Air Force in service to the nation. The Distinguished Visiting Professors are a select group chosen to supplement the academy faculty. They return to their home institutions following their academy assignments.

Doyle earned his doctorate in Spanish at the University of Virginia. He has 73 publications, including 11 books, and he has delivered 59 conference presentations; 66 invited keynote addresses, lectures and panels; and 63 workshops, the majority co-sponsored by the federally-funded Centers for International Business Education and Research (CIBER), at professional conferences and institutions of higher learning.